Based on the original SOLA software, State Land assists both national and local governments to manage land and property that is owned, occupied or controlled by the state from acquisition through to disposal.
Release 1503a is the inaugural release of State Land and the features it provides include
- Case Management to support tracking and management of jobs initiated by the state through to completion
- Jobs can comprise of multiple tasks with each task representing an action or activity that must be completed by the state when acquiring, leasing, maintaining or disposing state land.
- Search features allowing users to quickly locate information on jobs, state land property, parcels or related documents
- A map viewer and map editor for viewing and editing state land parcel details
- Business rules to automatically validate changes to state land information
- Comprehensive, context sensitive online help
- Ability to secure individual data records so that only users with appropriate permissions can view those records
- An Amharic language translation
There are two ways to see State Land in action:
Install the Web Start Application (install instructions below) to try out the functions of the State Land Desktop. State Land Desktop is deployed using Java Web Start technology. Users must have internet access and a local installation of the Java 7 or Java 8 SE Runtime Environment (JRE).
Download and build the source code from the Github SOLA-SL-FAO repositories. To use this source code you will need to sign up for a Github account and install Git. The Github help provides informative tutorials on how to achieve these tasks. Note that State Land uses 10 Git repositories. For details on how to manage these repositories, see the README.txt in the code repository. These repositories are under constant development by the SOLA Team. To obtain the source code for the 1503a Release, checkout the sl_release-1503a tag.
Installing the State Land Web Start Application
The instructions below will guide you through the installation of the State Land Desktop Web Start application. The total size of the download for the State Land Desktop is approximately 80MB. If you encounter issues with the installation, refer to the Installation Troubleshooting section of the State Land User Guide.
- The Java 7 or Java 8 SE Runtime Environment (JRE) is required for the Registry Desktop Web Start Application. If you don't have Java 7 or Java 8 installed, or would like to upgrade your JRE, you can download the latest Java installation packages from here.
- Download the latest Java Platform, Standard Edition JRE. It should be approximately 30Mb.
- You will need to accept the Oracle Binary Code License Agreement for Java SE before downloading the JRE.
- Download the product appropriate for your operating system. If you have a Windows 64bit OS, it is recommended you install the Windows x86 Offline option (i.e. 32bit) JRE. The 32bit JRE has better integration with web browsers on both 32bit and 64bit Windows OS.
- You will require local administration privileges to install the JRE.
- Avoid installing or running SOLA using Java 7 u25, u40 or u45 . All three of these updates have varying compatibility issues with Java web start applications.
Installing State Land Desktop
- Download the State Land Desktop Web Start JNLP file to your local file system. Shortly after the JNLP file download completes you should see a Java splash displayed followed by the Starting application... dialog. If not, locate the JNLP file on your local hard drive using Windows Explorer or equivalent and double click it.
- The application will download and then verify the installation package. The download and verification may take several minutes. Please wait until this action has completed. If an error occurs during the verification, try to download the web start application one more time as some files can fail to download on the first attempt.
- If you are prompted with the Do you want to run this application? dialog, tick Do not show this again... and choose Run.
- State Land Desktop will start automatically. To login use the following credentials;
Note that both the user and password are case sensitive.
- The installation will install a shortcut to State Land Desktop on your computer desktop as well as in your Start Menu. These shortcuts may require further configuration. Refer to the State Land User Guide for details.
- The license for this release is available here.
- The demonstration database used for the State Land Desktop is reverted daily at 0100 GMT. Any data changes you make will be lost.
- All users of the State Land Desktop Web Start Application will be able to see any data changes you make until the database is reverted.
- To uninstall the State Land Desktop, refer to the Uninstall section in the State Land User Guide.